The Story of Mistletoe Reindeer

3:47 PM

Now that Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is upon us, I look forward to getting out all of my Christmas decorations.

One holiday staple in my house is “Mistletoe Reindeer.” Mistletoe Reindeer has lived in my grandmother’s house in Newport, Arkansas; at my parents’ house in Kennett, MO; in the counselor’s office at my high school; in my dorm room at college; in my apartment at college; and now at my apartment in St. Louis. The story of Mistletoe Reindeer is a simple one.

One year around Christmas time, my family was visiting my grandmother in Arkansas. She proudly presented us with a hideous reindeer head made out of a sock.  It had a mouth, eyes, and even eye lashes. I can’t remember if she had made it herself, or actually purchased it. Either way, she wasted her time and/or money. As my mom gasped at the gaudy thing before us, my dad explained that this “thing” would not be coming home with us. End of story. Somehow the reindeer ended up in the car with us and made its way to our house. There, my dad threatened to throw it in the trash. I saved it from an untimely death and kept it for the next several years.

I worked in the counselor’s office during high school and one year I decided to bring the ugly reindeer to decorate the office with. We ended up hanging it from the ceiling. This is where the reindeer got the name, Mistletoe Reindeer. Mistletoe Reindeer spent two years receiving attention in the counselor’s office during the holidays. I had to sneak it back into the house each time so that my dad didn’t see it. He refused to have it in his house.

When I left for college, I had Mistletoe Reindeer in tow. This is where my reindeer spent 4 fabulous years bringing Christmas joy to all who laid eyes on her. My dad refused to let it back into his house so it has remained with me through the years. It is now one of my favorite Christmas decorations.

Mistletoe Reindeer continues to spread Christmas cheer even today, much to my dad’s disappointment.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

All photos & content belong to Seasoned With Style \\ Angela Decker. All Images, with the exception of those of my daughter may be pinned, but please give proper credit and do not claim them as your own. All Rights Reserved Powered by Blogger.