"The Jam Plan"

12:16 PM

"The Jam Plan."  Of course I'm referencing the episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S., where Monica tried to get over Richard by making jam ("The One with the Jam").  I hope you've seen it.  Anyway....

I received one of Ree Drummond's cookbooks for my birthday (The Pioneer Woman Cooks:  Food From My Frontier). In the back of the book, there are recipes for canning.  Her step by step instructions (with photos) made it seem like a piece of cake, and because I'm always trying to up my "domestic goddess" status I decided to make jam....and pickles.

I started with the pickles.  Sweet Lime Pickles.  They were a little harder and required more time.

{Ingredients}

{Slicing the cucumbers}

{Pickling lime}

{Adding all the spice}

{Ah.  Sweet satisfaction.}

Supplies:
Large Canning Pot (large enough to submerge the jars in water)
Tongs (I actually have a canning kit that comes with some useful items!)
Pint size mason jars with lids and screw-on rings (I ended up filling 10 jars)
Wide-mouth canning funnel
Canning rack to go inside the pot

Ingredients:
About 5 lbs of cucumbers
1 cup pickling lime
8 cups white distilled vinegar
8 cups of water
8 cups sugar
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

What To Do:
- Chop off the tops and bottoms of the cucumbers and cut them into 1/4 inch slices
- Toss into a large pot
- In a separate pot or bowl, mix the pickling lime and water, then once combined, pour over the cucumbers.
- Cover the pot and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight- this makes your pickles crispy.
- Remove from fridge and rinse the cucumbers 3 times to make sure all of the lime solution is removed. If you are using the same pot to cook them in, be sure to wash it thoroughly as well.
- Place cucumbers back into clean pot and add vinegar, sugar, pickling spices, tumeric, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring the mixture almost to a boil and turn off the heat, stir and return to refrigerator for another 3-4 hours.
- Pull the pot back out of the fridge and back onto the stove boiling over medium heat for 40-45 minutes.
- In a separate pot, heat the pint jars and lids (not the screw tops)
- One at a time, remove jar from water and place the funnel in the jar, filling the jar with pickle slices.
- When you have as many as you can get in the jar, pour in enough liquid to reach 1/4 inch from the top of the jar.
- Place the lid and screw top on the jar, then repeat the process until all jars are filled.
- Place the jars in the pot of water and heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to sit on the counter for 24 hours.  Over the next few hours, you should hear the lids popping.  This means they're sealing!  Yay!
- After that time, check to make sure that the lids are sealed, if any failed to seal, store them in the fridge.


Whew!  After ALL that, I decided to make the strawberry jam. 

{Ingredients}

{Not much to it.  Just makin' jam.}

{Jam}
I used this recipe for the jam.  I'm glad I started with the pickles.  The jam seemed easy after all the pickling.  Both turned out great!  I may try to make more jam after this.  I love the Jam Plan!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

All photos & content belong to Seasoned With Style \\ Angela Decker. All Images, with the exception of those of my daughter may be pinned, but please give proper credit and do not claim them as your own. All Rights Reserved Powered by Blogger.