DIY Decorative Pillows

7:30 AM

I wanted to add decorative pillows to our couch, but because our couch has large pillow cushions already I didn't want large decorative ones.  I wanted a certain size and a certain pattern, so I decided to make my own.   

Making pillows is probably the easiest sewing project you can do.  For my pillows, I picked out a couple of patterns I liked at Hobby Lobby.  I used duck cloth (canvas) because it's thicker and sturdier and seems to last longer. 


First I ironed the fabric so that all the creases were gone.  Then I treated the fabric with Scotch Guard.  This will help your fabric resist stains. 


Once the Scotch Guard had dried, I measured how big I wanted my pillow to be, then cut two separate pieces. 

Then I sewed them together, with right sides together, making sure all stitch lines were straight.  Make sure and leave a gap open large enough to stuff your pillow.


Once your stuffing is in, it's time to stitch up the open gap.  Fold the fabric down and pin it closed, then stitch it up.


All finished.  I like to fluff the pillow when I'm done so that all of the stuffing is even and not bulky anywhere. 

Now I have decorative couch pillows and I spent a fraction of the price they would be in the store.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

All photos & content belong to Seasoned With Style \\ Angela Decker. All Images, with the exception of those of my daughter may be pinned, but please give proper credit and do not claim them as your own. All Rights Reserved Powered by Blogger.