"Blue jeans painted on tight" and Other Slightly Inappropriate Toddler Lyrics

7:00 AM

It's no secret around our house that Katherine loves music.  We played our favorite musicians for her pretty much as soon as she was born.  She took to some music, while completely rejecting others.  Some voices would calm her right down when she was upset,  and one of those voices that seemed to soothe her was David Nail.  This pleased her father because David is one of his favorites, and needless to say Jason would always play his music for Katherine.  When Katherine was still very small, David performed on the David Letterman Show, which we DVR'ed to watch later.  We played the performance for Katherine on the TV, and were surprised to find her mesmerized.  She was now able to visually recognize David (Nail not Letterman), and know his voice.

We tried showing Katherine other artists, but she would always be uninterested.  So, she grew up listening to "Whatever She's Got," and will come running from what ever room she's in to see or hear David (pronounced "Debit" in Katherine language).  Soon she learned the lyrics, which we thought was super cute until she started referring to the song as "blue jeans painted on tight" (the chorus from the song).  One day I found her in her playroom alone, with her wooden microphone belting out "blue jeans painted on yight.....I won I won I won whatever she's caught."  She loves to sing it, so I'm sure the church nursery workers have heard her rendition of this song and wondered what on Earth she's been listening to.  Oops.  I guess it could be so much worse.  I remember singing along with Garth Brooks as a six year old singing, "I'm much too young to feel this damn old."

If you were to ask her what singers she liked, she'd tell you Taylor Swift ("Tayer"), David Nail ("Debit"), and Anna and Elsa from Frozen ("Anna Elsa First Time in Forever Frozen" can you guess what her favorite Frozen song is?).  It was slightly less embarrassing when she learned the words to Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off."  I started letting her listen to Taylor because of her peppy, catchy songs, and the fact that I didn't see Taylor going off the deep end like other young song birds.  (Taylor, I'm watching you.  Don't screw this up for me.)

So at any given time, you may hear my child belt out "haters gonna hate hate hate," "blue jeans painted on tight," or any one of the Frozen songs.  I quickly learned my lesson by the time she showed interest in "All About That Bass," and promptly put an end to listening to that song.  And, after watching the Super Bowl halftime show, Katherine had a new interest in Katy Perry.  Being a fan myself, I embraced it with ever so much caution.  We only listen to a couple of her songs just to appease the audience, but omitting the songs with questionable lyrics (which are most of her songs but I digress).

I just mentioned to Jason the other day, how I almost dread the day Katherine joins the preschool choir because I'm afraid she'll think she's entitled to all solos, even when there aren't any solos to be distributed.  She'll insist on hogging the microphone, and maybe even start her own verse of "blue jeans painted on tight" in the middle of Jesus Loves Me.  

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  In the meantime, Katherine's Mimi has offered to give her piano lessons as soon as they get their new house in order.  Good luck Mimi.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

All photos & content belong to Seasoned With Style \\ Angela Decker. All Images, with the exception of those of my daughter may be pinned, but please give proper credit and do not claim them as your own. All Rights Reserved Powered by Blogger.